Posted by on May 12, 2022 2:02 pm
Tags:
Categories: News Washington Examiner

Russian-backed forces rule out swap for Ukrainian soldiers inside steel plant

In this photo provided by Azov Special Forces Regiment of the Ukrainian National Guard Press Office, an Azov Special Forces Regiment’s serviceman, injured during fighting against Russian forces, poses for a photographer inside the Azovstal steel plant in Mariupol, Ukraine, Tuesday, May 10, 2022. (Dmytro ‘Orest’ Kozatskyi/Azov Special Forces Regiment of the Ukrainian National Guard Press Office via AP) Dmytro ‘Orest’ Kozatskyi/AP

Russian-backed forces rule out swap for Ukrainian soldiers inside steel plant

Abigail Adcox May 12, 01:12 PMMay 12, 01:12 PM Video Embed

Russian-backed separatist forces appear poised to reject a proposal to receive captured Russian soldiers in exchange for releasing Ukrainian soldiers trapped at the Azovstal steel plant in Mariupol.

Russian forces are continuing their assault despite Ukraine working on a deal to extract dozens of injured soldiers from the besieged plant in exchange for Russian prisoners of war, Denys Pushylin, leader of a breakaway state run by pro-Russian separatists, told Donbas News.

UKRAINE OFFERS TO EXCHANGE RUSSIAN POWS FOR TROOPS TRAPPED INSIDE STEEL PLANT

Pushilin, who heads up the Donetsk People’s Republic, instead called on Ukrainian soldiers to “lay down their arms and head to a tribunal.” 

Meanwhile, Ukrainian officials said that evacuation negotiations for the soldiers were still underway.

“To be clear: we are currently only negotiating 38 heavily wounded (lying down) fighters. Working step by step. Exchange 38 heavy, then move on. There are no talks about exchanging 500 or 600 people,” Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk said in a Facebook post Thursday.

Vereshchuk previously said that Ukrainian forces did not want to surrender as roughly 2,000 Ukrainian soldiers are holed up in the steel plant, recent estimates from Russia suggest.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER

Ukrainian officials reported that they had successfully evacuated all women, children, and seniors trapped underneath the facility. Nearly 100 other civilians remain inside, Petro Andryushchenko, a Mariupol mayoral advisor, said Wednesday.

© 2022 Washington Examiner

Originally appeared at Washington Examiner

Read More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.